Friday, May 23, 2008

PHASE 2


I met PHASE, let me see, back in 1972. There used to be this doughnut
shop across the street from DeWitt Clinton High School in the Bronx,
in fact, I had dropped out of Clinton in 1967. All the new writers
went there and I wanted to meet them. I was 22 and none of them were
older then 18 years old, they were still in school. In fact, they were right
by the 4 yard and they used to hit it at lunch time. PHASE, RAY-B, LAVA,
man, all those cats went there!

I found out that they were hanging out at the doughnut shop and I went
in there and that's when I met PHASE. People forget that PHASE was a
bomber first, he was up a lot - him and LEE 163. LEE especially was hitting
fronts, something I loved to do. You could tell PHASE immediately because
he was the one that everyone looked up to - and he could talk! Oh shit,
PHASE could talk, but he always backed it up. I wasn't up that much yet
but the other writers were cool to me because of my age. That place, with
everybody talking shit, and PHASE 2, man that just made me want to write
more! In my opinion PHASE is one of the greatest writers ever.

STAYHIGH 149 / VOICE OF THE GHETTO

No comments: