Saturday, May 17, 2008

Across the tracks


Damn! Look at this photo from 1973. People used to always ask me
how I could write my name across the tracks. It really wasn't that
difficult. You'd stand in between cars as the train pulled into the
station, then you'd undo the safety chain and step out onto the
bumpers of the train. Once you finished your tag you'd jump back
and put the chain back in place. Times Square was a great station
for this 'cause everybody would see that shit!

I like the STAG 161 tag, that came out crisp. PAPO and COLA hit
the entire Broadway line like that, station to station. It looks like
a TRACY tag on the right, he was crazy back then and probably
did it in the middle of the day. I don't know why the new writers
don't do this, it was a great way to get up.

STAYHIGH 149 / VOICE OF THE GHETTO

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...the greatest compliment a writer from my generation could get would be from Stay High 149. Of course it's no wonder he liked my tag, because you can see how I was influenced by him. Not sure how he picked out my marker tag under all those fat cap hits, but you will notice back in the early days my tag was what we would call "profile" layout today. Meaning the numbers were underneath my name. Very similar to the Stay High layout. If you caught my tag in Style Wars you will notice the arrow pointing down, but the numbers to the right. Later on this evolved into the arrow pointing to the right (landscape). Thanks brother- RIP

@stag161